Register
Monter»Forums»3D model import
Sanyam Malhotra
1 posts
3D model import
2 months, 4 weeks ago Edited by Sanyam Malhotra on May 6, 2020, 8:58 a.m. Reason: Initial post
Hi,

First of all, the project looks great. So I am also working on a 3D game that I am "trying" to program from scratch. I am at a stage where I want to now import 3D models. The quandary that I face is whether to use a 3D model import library or write an xml parser(using Collada) since I am trying to not use any external libraries. So I want to know what did you do? And if you used an import library that can you let me know which one?

Thanks
52 posts
3D model import
2 months, 4 weeks ago
Hello, I just wanted to share my experience.

The assimp library gave me good results with most formats as long as I didn't need to import animations; when trying to import animations with assimp, only its Collada importer worked somewhat satisfyingly enough, but I still had some issues, so I ended up writing my own gtTF importer, so this one has become the format I'm most familiar with.

If you want to implement a compliant glTF importer, all the information you need is here: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/g...aster/specification/2.0/README.md

There is also an existing lightweight glTF library, cgltf: https://github.com/jkuhlmann/cgltf (I didn't test this one)

For my own importer, I didn't start exactly from scratch, I'm using rapidjson as my json parser, but it would make sense at some point to have a glTF importer that doesn't need any dependency.
Chen
105 posts / 2 projects

Some guy trying to make some video game.

3D model import
2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi Elven,

For this game, I've written a custom collada importer from scratch, but I'd advise against it. It was excruciating to write such a thing especially for a grotesque file format like collada ... But the choice is yours.

I am working on Monter
Miles
70 posts / 2 projects
3D model import
2 months, 2 weeks ago
I think it's worth noting that it's a common practice, when handling 3D models and other heavy game assets, to write a standalone program to convert some model interchange format like FBX, Collada, glTF, etc. into a customized internal data format which is then loaded and used by the game. In that case, even if the standalone program depends on a library, you don't necessarily have to integrate it with the game's build system or ship it to end-users.
Chen
105 posts / 2 projects

Some guy trying to make some video game.

3D model import
2 months, 2 weeks ago
notnullnotvoid
I think it's worth noting that it's a common practice, when handling 3D models and other heavy game assets, to write a standalone program to convert some model interchange format like FBX, Collada, glTF, etc. into a customized internal data format which is then loaded and used by the game. In that case, even if the standalone program depends on a library, you don't necessarily have to integrate it with the game's build system or ship it to end-users.

+1

I am working on Monter
Oliver Marsh
164 posts / 2 projects

A budding game developer and programmer

3D model import
4 days, 18 hours ago
https://github.com/lsalzman/iqm

I came across this a while ago. It gives both a text based & binary format for models & animations. And you get a plugin that exports the animations from Blender. It might be worth a look as it looks quite simple & don't have to write your own blender script (which I found can be quite confusing). I believe RayLib uses the binary format for it's 3d model animations.